Monday 24 October 2011

Sign Painter Documentary update

I just thought I would post an up-date for the Sign Painter Documentary that I've been working on. I'm getting ready to do the final two interviews and then start the editing. If everything goes right, I should have it ready for Christmas. It has been a great journey so far, meeting and interviewing people that made their living painting signs. Listening to their stories and how working as a sign painter shaped their lives has made the project a worthwhile endeavor. I'm sure you'll find it as interesting as I have. For those of you who might not have seen the video clips, I've posted them below.




2 comments:

  1. Hey, it looks like great stuff. I wish i had interviewed/videotaped my mentors when I still had the chance. My main man, Roy Darby, started in the trade in 1928 - he said the shop still had a ball mill for mixing paint, although they weren't using it by then. But lots of mixing up 5 pound kegs of white lead to make paint - apprentices really got a workout in those days. He lived to see computers coming in, but he didn't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Lee. I remember talking with an old sign painter who was a third-generation. He told me his Dad use to make him mix the paint (pigment / oil /white lead) as punishment when he was a kid. It's been really interesting listening to these folks. They have wonderful stories and are surprised and happy that someone is taking the time to listen. Next week I get to look at a box of photos dating back to the early 1900s, should be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment or suggestion